Men and women are different biologically in many ways, including their skin. The average woman has much more delicate and sensitive skin than the average man, and he will take longer to show his age. Of course there are factors that play into this, such as lifestyle, ethnicity, and environment. Does this mean that men are free from using anti-aging skin creams? Only if they want to age more quickly and dramatically than they need to – and if you are reading this, then you probably are in the category of wanting to slow that process down. The fact is that you are not alone, according to analysts, men’s skincare is now a multi-billion dollar global industry.
20 years ago skincare specifically made for men was a rare thing to find on store shelves. Men were supposed to look rugged and age lines in men’s faces were considered sexy. Slowly the zeitgeist around men’s skin care has shifted and now men of all ages, and in all careers, are paying attention to their skin. Some of this is based on a higher awareness of the link between skin that looks youthful and good health, while some of it is based on a societal focus on youth and vitality. Whatever your reason for being interested in skin care, there are a number things to think about and pay attention to that will help you take care of your skin.
The way men should take care of their skin mirrors the way women should take care of their skin. There are some very important daily routines that can be followed to assure that your skin looks great even as your biological age progresses.
Clean and Moisturize Daily
Daily cleansing will help to remove dirt, pollution, sweat, and excess oils from your skin. It also helps you remove dead skin cells from the surface of your skin where they stick and make your skin look dull. Ideally you will wash your face in the morning, before bed, and after you exercise.
Daily moisturizer use after you wash your face or take a shower is really important. You should apply the moisturizer while your skin is still damp and you should use quality products like SABRINA Collagen Rx Plus, that is full of the best antioxidants for your skin, and the stem cells from green apples. It also contains nanotechnology adapted collagen molecules that are small enough to actually absorb into your skin, giving you a skin-lifting boost. It is true that more women use the product than men, but it works great for men’s skin too.
Don’t Skimp on Sunscreen
One of the most important things you can do for yourself is the proper application of sunscreen. There is nothing more damaging to your skin than UV radiation. Both UVA and UVB play a role in photoaging and skin cancer. Sun damage and sun burns are cumulative and can alter your skin cell’s DNA. While some products can reverse some sun damage it is harder to repair your DNA, and skin cancers can be deadly. Thus, the only real protection from the sun is full spectrum sunscreen, used daily, year round. This is one habit that you will never be sorry you adopted.
In addition to protecting yourself with sunscreen, wear sun-protective clothing and limit your direct and indirect exposure to the sun as much as possible. Long sleeves, long pants, and hats will go a long way to keeping you blocked from the sun. And, remember your hands need sun protection too. On many people you can see how much sun they have had in their lives based on the amount of lines and wrinkles on their hands. Sunscreen will help you retain the look and feel of the skin on the back of your hand for decades to come.
Lifestyle Makes All the Difference to Your Skin
We all make lifestyle choices and some of us are more self-destructive than others. The way that we work, play, eat, drink and relax have a real impact on our health, and our health has a real impact on the way our skin looks. (Source). Diet is the most studied of these factors, however the following all make a significant difference in your physical appearance.
- Hydration. On average people need at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Enough sleep. Like water, the number 8 seems to be magical. Adults need no less than 6 and do better with 8 consistent hours of sleep every night.
- A good diet full of colorful fruits and vegetables and lean proteins. The more colors you eat, the more vitamins and minerals you are getting. Antioxidants that are present in many fruits and vegetables fight age-inducing free radicals. Omega fatty acids in many nuts and seeds have significant health benefits for you as well.
- Exercise. Your skin is actually the largest organ of your body and it is tied into a number of your body’s systems including circulatory and cardiovascular. As you exercise, both of those become healthier and enhance the health of your skin.
- Avoid cigarette smoke and limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine. Cigarettes do so much damage to your skin, second only to directly overdoing sun exposure. It is also really dangerous, as it can cause deadly cancers and heart disease. Alcohol and caffeine can both dehydrate you quickly, leaving you with dark circles under your eyes and dry, flaky, itchy skin spots.
Basically, in order to have great skin as a man, you need to take care of yourself and treat your skin and body as though it is the only one you have. Afterall, it is. And skin cream is made for you too